Sunday, September 15, 2013

2 Gigs In One Day!

9/14/13a
Valentine-Edson Wedding
Canoe Restaurant
Atlanta, GA

Atlanta bride (Valentine) and California groom (Edson) met and live in Singapore.  Bride's father was in the music store where my father works, buying sheet music for the wedding.  Casually mentioned to my father that all they needed now was musicians, which is where we come in.  Thanks Dad!  Joe, Sam, and I have done a few weddings -- some classics and custom arrangements of popular songs that bride and groom especially want to hear.  Not the same ol' wedding music, y'all.  After about 50 e-mails, phone calls, and Skype conversations from Singapore, we got it together.
Joe and Sam started with some ragtime duets, I joined in on an Italian piece ("Romantic") and "I Married An Angel" (Rodgers & Hart); they played "Misty", we did "Come What May" (from "Moulin Rouge") for the bride.  Never settle when it comes to your wedding music, y'all.  That's how we get down.  We played "Be Thou My Vision" and "Amazing Grace" during the ceremony.  They had Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros' "Home" on an iPod for their recessional.  We shifted around for a cocktail hour-type reception (thanks for the Mimosas!) and played "Morning Has Broken", "Here, There, And Everywhere", "Crazy Love", "Crash Into Me", "I Will", "In My Life", "If I Were A Carpenter", "All You Need Is Love", and reprised "Come What May" since we didn't get to play all of it during the processional.  We'd worked up "If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out*" in case their recessional music didn't work out, so we played it too.

APL - ac. gtr., tenor uke*
Joe Lester, violin, viola
Samantha Lester - viola

9/14/13b
Johnny's Pizza
Rome, GA

Another Thunderbutt Peterson gig, subbing for David Bell.  I pulled a rookie taper move and left my external battery turned on after the last gig, so there's no recording.  I think I did a good job keeping up with the setlist:

I
You Never Can Tell
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
Willin'
Carmelita
Friend Of The Devil
Seminole Wind
What's Made Milwaukee Famous (Has Made A Loser Out Of Me)*
Dead Flowers*
Tangled Up In Blue*

II
Crossroads
The Last Time
Let My Love Open The Door
That's Alright, Mama
The Race Is On
Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) >
Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?
Everything Is Free
Dirty Old Town**
It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes a Train To Cry**

III
Suspicious Minds
Cortez The Killer
Long Black Veil
The Weight***
Don't Worry, Be Happy****
Sweet Virginia*
Ring Of Fire*

APL - ac. gtr., tenor uke****, lead vocals
Tim Bowen - ac. gtr., mandolin*, lap steel**, banjo***&****, harmony vocals

Oh, and Tim absolutely destroyed "Cortez".  I mean, it was like Crazy Horse on acoustic guitars, but better.

No comments: