Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Open Mic 9/13/11

9/13/11
333 on Broad
Rome, GA

Not as many players tonight, so I got to play more. Hooray. I was third, and played mostly originals again:
Isles Of Ae -- written with Joe for Earhorn; Jason McWilliams came up with the middle part.
Ritual -- I had some music and some words; pillaged some old notebooks and put it all together.
The New One -- This one first came to life while I was a Literature student at GSU, feeling oh, so poetic. I've always liked the music. Most of the words weren't relevant all these years later. Re-wrote it this past Spring. 

Desperadoes Waiting For A Train (written by Guy Clark) -- Saw Guy do this one at Live Oak a few times, I've done it a few times at open mic. One of my favorites.

After everyone had played, they started over. The host offered me the closing slot. I could have played for at least another hour. Originals and covers mixed up together:
Romeo And Juliet (Dire Straits) -- an open mic staple. I play it up a step from the record, it strums well and sits comfortably in my range.
24 Hours At A Time (Marshall Tucker Band) -- I didn't think this one was too obscure, but the host said nobody recognized it. I need a band for this one.
Surrender -- Never found its feet with the band. I'm gonna keep playing it 'til it finds its way.
Prologue -- The recorded version is all acoustic instruments. The only electricity we used was to power the microphones.
Midnight Afternoon -- This one came out last Fall. Really needs a band to let it run around in the yard.
Harbinger -- Wrote this one for the band. Always played it just the way I wanted it. The end jam was always worth the price of admission.
Henry (New Riders of the Purple Sage) -- Where's Garcia and his pedal steel when I need him?

*debut performance

No comments: